Frequently Asked Questions

The Office of Student Conduct serves the student body by administering the student judicial system. Anytime a student has violated the UTM Standards of Conduct (whether the incident occurs on or off campus) their case is referred to this office.

Click on the questions below to expand answers.

What happens if I get called in to the Office of Student Conduct?

If you receive a phone call or an email from our office, you need to set up an appointment. At that appointment, you will be notified of why we contacted you.

  • If you are a witness to, or can provide additional information in an incident.
  • If you have been charged with violating a Standard of Conduct, you will meet with the Student Conduct Officer, who will explain your rights, and the pending charges against you.

What is a Disciplinary Hold?

If a student fails to make an appointment with our office or fails to contact us regarding a pending investigation, we will put a hold on their records. This hold will prevent the student from registering and/or making changes to their class schedule. This hold can easily be removed by our office as soon as the student resolves any pending questions. Examples of other mandates issued by the Office of Student Conduct that warrant disciplinary holds are:

  • Community Service {Administrative and/or Judicial}
  • Completion of the eCHUG survey and/or other alcohol related sanctions
  • Counseling Sessions {Administrative and/or Judicial}
  • Restitution

Do parents/guardians have access to my records?

Not without your written permission. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) govern the privacy of student records as implemented by the Buckley Amendment. Students may come into our office and sign a waiver, releasing information to a specified third party. These waivers pertain to each individual case that the student is involved in.

Are there fees involved in this process?

We do assign monetary fees as sanctioned for restitution involving damaged, lost or stolen property. Students who have been mandated to pursue outsource counseling will incur monetary fees at the student’s expense.

Can violations be addressed over the phone?

Due to the serious nature of alleged violations, we require students to personally meet with a staff member to review all charges and allegations. As such students are able to discuss the details of their incident in a private area. Students are also able to sign a release regarding any further discussion regarding their rights.

What does Advisement mean?

Advisement means that the incident will be documented and placed in your file but no further action will be taken against you. Per SACSCOC requirement we must take action on all reported occurrences that the office receives.

What does probation mean?

Probation means that a student is allowed to remain in the University on a probationary status. Probation can be set for a semester, a year, or indefinitely. While a student is on probation, any further violations may be grounds for additional sanctions up to and including suspension or permanent dismissal.

Will my alcohol violation remain on my file and be reported to graduate school programs or employers after my undergraduate graduation?

All occurrence reports are subject to release pending receipt of a waiver issued by the student. Files are retained for (5) five years after graduation and/or sabbatical unless approved for permanent retention by the Vice Chancellor and/or their designee. Please contact our office for further clarification.

What sanctions will remain on my permanent record?

Sanctions of reprimand or higher will remain on a student’s disciplinary record indefinitely. If you are applying to a graduate program or a government job, the appropriate agency will most likely request you disclose your record. As previously mentioned all files are kept for a minimum of five years following graduation.

I already resolved this issue in the Weakley County court system so why am I here?

UTM Standards of Conduct #13 states “violations of local, state or federal law, whether on or off campus” shall be brought forth to the Office of Student Conduct. The University of Tennessee administrative system operates independently of the local, county or state court system. Thus, violations of state law, that are also violations of University Standards of Conduct, must be resolved through the University, as well as all other vested court system(s).

If you have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to contact the Office of Student Conduct, (731) 881-7703.

Clarification of Disciplinary Regulations

In response to numerous inquiries and uncertainties by students regarding disciplinary penalties for unacceptable behavior, the following list contains examples for which suspension from the university is the expected penalty...

View Clarification of Disciplinary Regulations >


Standard of Conduct

When persons enroll in The University of Tennessee at Martin, they retain the rights and duties of a citizen. Additionally, they must assume the duties and observe the regulations imposed by the University community.

View Standard of Conduct >


Report Online: Academic Integrity
and/or Concerning Behavior

Reports submitted online are reviewed within 24 hours. All reports are safeguarded to ensure the confidentiality of our students.

Submit Report >