Learn the basic principles of fitting, pattern alterations and apparel construction. Create simple projects on the sewing machine to wear and use in your home.
Through this course you will:
- select patterns and fabrics appropriate for you individually,
- learn the basics of sewing quality garments,
- learn what goes into constructing a garment, and
- compare ready made garment construction to individually sewn products.
A sampling of assignments for this course include:
- Pattern alterations
- Seam finishes, dart samples, sewing buttons and zippers
- Making a project for your home such as pillow, table cloth or for yourself such as purse
- Making pajama pants
- Ready made garment analysis
See the career opportunities of Family & Consumer Sciences
Learn More >