Types of Employment Opportunities for Students

Welcome to UT Martin Student Employment. If you are interested in being employed while earning your degree please discover what option of employment would work best for you. We have two types of employment for students to work on-campus. If you click on the links below you can learn all about these options and apply for jobs.


Please contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at (731) 881-7657 if you have any questions.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

Federal Work-Study is part-time employment option of where you can work 10-15 hours per week on-campus. It is awarded to students who fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by March 15 and mark that they are interested in FWS, have all verification documents completed by June 1, demonstrate financial need as determined in the FAFSA and are interviewed and hired by a department on campus.


More information about the FWS Program is available at the Federal Guide to Student Aid.

How to qualify for FWS

  • Fill our your FAFSA by March 15
  • Mark on your FAFSA: Yes, I am interested in FWS
  • Make sure that you are in good grade standing for the school and financial aid.
  • Complete all verification requirements by June 1
  • Have an EFC (expected family contribution) of less than 5225
  • Have unmet financial aid need

If I qualify how do I apply for FWS jobs?

If you meet all of the above requirements, an email will be sent to your Student and personal email accounts on June 27th letting you know that you meet all of the above requirements and which jobs you may apply for on July 1st.

What if I qualify for FWS and I do not get a job?

There is a possibility that you could be eligible for FWS, apply for a FWS job(s) and not receive a position. This is due to the limited funds that the university receives to fund these positions. This is a very competitive award so make sure that you do your best when you apply and interview for work study positions. If you happen to not get a FWS job then please visit our student employment and off-campus employment pages to see what opportunities you have in those areas.


For more information visit our FWS frequently asked questions page.

Student Employment

Student employment is jobs for students that are paid by UT Martin and does not depend on financial need or a FAFSA filing date.

Off-campus Employment

Part-time employment is also available in the Martin area and you can view all available jobs in Handshake. To be eligible for this part-time employment, the student must meet the requirements established by the employing agency. Financial need is not required for these employment opportunities. Students should regularly check the Job & Internships Postings tab in Handshake under their My UTMartin portal to find out what is available and how they should apply. To post off-campus employment opportunities in Handshake, contact the Career Planning & Development Office at (731) 881-7712. For student employment information contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at (731) 881-7657.

Federal School Code

Our Title IV federal school code is 003531.

UT Martin Scholarship Aviator

Discover scholarships with UT Martin’s online scholarship opportunity manager.

View the UT Martin Scholarship Aviator >

Net Price Calculator

The calculator is designed to give you an early indication of how much and what types of financial aid you might qualify. 

Use the Calculator >