- The most recent date comes first, the oldest last
- Year/date must be aligned either on the left hand side or the right hand side of the page.
- Include all possible details (such as, GPA, scores, years of achievements, years of membership, description of job responsibilities). Be as precise as possible.
- When writing your personal information at the top of the page, give only your full name, current address, zip code, current home and cell telephone numbers, and email address.
- NEVER indicate your SSN, birthdate, gender, ethnic background, nationality, health, religion, church affiliation, race, or picture.
- Proofread: be sure that your documents are error free (dates, spelling, grammar, etc.).
- Do include military experience.
- Select a good quality bond paper. Print all documents on a laser printer. Never turn in a copied resume.
- Avoid unnecessary formatting, curlicues, lines, and other graphic effects that are an eye-distraction and clutter.
- If you list references, ask permission first. Keep your references’ contact information current.
- Never include any mention of past or desired salaries.
- Deal with gaps in your employment or education record. Be prepared to answer questions about them in the interviews or address them in your cover letter or personal statement.
- Keep your vita regularly updated. You can always create a resume from a vita, but never a vita from a resume.
Back to Table of Contents
The history and philosophy curricula lie at the heart of a liberal arts education.
Learn more >
The Civil Rights Conference
Learn more >