Name(s) of Buildings: Holland McCombs Center and Home Economics Building
Construction Dates: 1927-1929; refurbished 1984
The Home Economics Building, now known as the Holland McCombs Center, was the first building constructed by the University of Tennessee after purchasing the Hall-Moody campus and adjacent Woodley Farm. The building served primarily as classrooms and offices for the Home Economics Department from its completion in 1929 into the 1970's.
The building fell into disrepair in the early 1980's, but with a $100,000 donation from Holland McCombs the structure was remodeled and renamed in his honor. It reopened in 1986. It has since housed the college Museum and Archives (until University Archives was moved to the Paul Meek Library in 1995). At present, the Museum's exhibit space and the Honors Program operate in the building.