Note: if you're using an older version of Thunderbird, we highly recommend upgrading to version 2.0.
To set up your Thunderbird client to work with Gmail:
1.�Enable IMAP�in Gmail. Make sure you click�Save Changes�when you're done.
2. Open Thunderbird, and select�Tools > Account Settings.
3. Click�Add Account.
4. Select the�Email account�radio button and click�Next. The Identity screen appears.
5. Enter your full name in the�Your Name�field. Enter your Gmail address (email@example.com) in the Email Address field, and click�Next.
6. Select�IMAP�as the type of incoming server you are using. Enter imap.gmail.com in the�Incoming Server�field.
7. Set the�Outgoing Server�to smtp.gmail.com and click�Next.
8. Enter your full email address (including @ut.utm.edu) in the�Incoming User Name�and�Outgoing User Name�fields, and clickNext.
9. Enter a name for your email account in the�Account Name�field, and click�Next.
10. Verify your account information in the dialog box, and click�Finish.
11. Select�Server Settings�from the folder list below your new account.
12. Update the�Port�value to 993.
13. In the�Security Settings�section, select�SSL�from the�Use secure connection�options.
14. Select the 'Check for messages at startup' checkbox and the 'Check for new messages every 10 minutes' checkbox.
15. Click�Outgoing Server (SMTP)�in the folder list.
16. Select the�smtp.gmail.com (Default)�entry from the list and click�Edit. The�SMTP Server�page appears.
17. Enter smtp.gmail.com as the�Server Name�and set the�Port�to 587.
18. Select�User name and password�and enter your full email address (including @ut.utm.edu) in the�User Name�field.
19. Select�TLS�from the�Use secure connection�radio buttons and click�OK.
20. Click�OK�to save your changes and exit the�Account Settings�dialog.
21. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.