What is Federal Work-Study (FWS)?

Federal Work-Study is offered as a part of your total financial aid package after you are hired by a department. This award helps to assist you in financing your education at UT Martin. This is money that does not have to be repaid. FWS is a real job. The term “Work-Study” does not mean that you can “study” on the job. It means that you work to obtain the funds to be able to study at UT Martin.

What are the advantages of a FWS job?

Some advantages are being able to arrange your work schedule around your classes, earning a bi-weekly (twice a month) pay check, gaining valuable work experiences that will look good on a resume and keeping student debt to a minimum.

How much can I work?

Your award offer will indicate the dollar amount of your FWS award for the year. Although your pay will always be based upon actual hours worked, this award indicates the maximum amount you will be allowed to earn. You and your supervisor will determine your work schedule depending on your supervisor’s needs and your class schedule.

How and where will I be assigned to work?

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (OFAS) does not assign students to specific jobs. Instead, you must seek out and apply for placement in a FWS position, although the OFAS assists with job leads by soliciting campus departments for FWS postings. A listing of openings can be found on the UT Martin student employment page after July 1, www.utm.edu/offices-and-services/financial-aid-and-scholarships/student-employment-work-study//apply-for-federal-work-study.php.

If you find a job that you are interested in, fill out the application and the supervisor will contact you for an interview. The supervisors contact information is listed if you have further questions about the job or if the position has been filled. Once you are hired, the supervisor will fill out the FWS hire form and submit it to the OFAS. The OFAS office will award you FWS and sign off on the hire form once it has been determined that you meet FWS eligibility.

How do I get paid?

FWS students are paid bi-weekly (twice a month). The pay rate for campus jobs will be $7.25 – $8.50 per hour depending on where you work and how long you have worked for the department. The preferred method of payment is through direct deposit to your personal checking/savings account. Paychecks do not process through the student Bursar’s account.

What are my responsibilities?
  • Take your job seriously. This is a real job and an important one. You are now a part of the department or area where you are working.
  • Coordinate your work hours with your supervisor, remembering both the needs of the department and your own class schedule.
  • Be dependable. You must report to work on time and always CALL if it is necessary for you to be late or absent.
  • Dress appropriately for your work location. Check with your supervisor on appropriate dress if you are not sure.
  • If a problem develops on the job, discuss it with your supervisor. Quitting a Work-Study job should be a last resort and should be done only after consultation with your supervisor. We cannot guarantee replacement of your Work-Study award with other funds.
Can I be terminated?

YES. Your employer can terminate you for unsatisfactory performance of assigned tasks, tardiness, or failure to report to work or follow rules of the department where you are working. If terminated, reassignment to another job is NOT guaranteed.

Who do I contact for information?

For information about the FWS award or placement, contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at (731) 881-7657.