Student Actions

Students should initially route all complaints through the Division of Student Affairs.


Click here to complete a UTM Student Complaint Submission Form.


If a student is unsatisfied with Student Affairs’s resolution to the student’s complaint, an appeal may be made to the University of Tennessee system’s Office of Academic Affairs & Student Success.


If a student is unsatisfied with Office of Academic Affairs & Student Success’s resolution to the student’s complaint AND the complaint is related to consumer protection laws, an appeal may be made using the Tennessee NC-SARA Portal.

  • This appeal process is ONLY for investigation and resolution of complaints involving dishonest or fraudulent activity with a course or program operating contrary to the practices set forth in the C-RAC Guidelines.
  • Complaints regarding student grades or student conduct violations are NOT covered by SARA.
  • Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC) will only accept a SARA complaint from a student if the student has exhausted the institution’s complaint process.
  • To file your complaint utilize the Tennessee NC-SARA Portal form.

Complaint Resolution Policies and Procedures for Non-Tennessee Resident Students in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement States, commonly known as SARA.

Student complaints relating to consumer protection laws that involve distance learning education offered under the terms and conditions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), must first be filed with the institution to seek resolution.


Complainants not satisfied with the outcome of the Institution’s internal process may appeal, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission ( compliance/postsecondary-state-authorization/request-for-complaint-review.html).


For purposes of this process, a complaint shall be defined as a formal assertion in writing that the terms of SARA or the laws, standards or regulations incorporated by the SARA Policies and Standards ( have been violated by the institution operating under the terms of SARA.


For a list of SARA member States, please visit the NC-SARA website ( states-institutions). Students residing in non-SARA states should consult their respective State of residence for further instruction for filing a complaint.

Consumer Rights to Know

Information that is in compliance with The Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA), as amended by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA).

Learn More >

Student Actions

Who to See and What to Do

Click here >