Name(s) of Building:

Ellis Home for Young Women; Reed Hall


Construction Dates: 1919; Demolished 1975

Cost: $35,000

Brief History:

To answer the needs of expanding enrollments, the Hall-Moody Normal School began construction of the dormitory in 1919. The building was originally named the Ellis Home for Young Women in honor of Baptist elder G. L. Ellis. It sat immediately east of the old Administration Building  and was connected to that building by a covered breezeway.

When the Hall-Moody campus was purchased for a state junior college the building was renamed Reed Hall. It was used as a women's dormitory until 1975, when the building was demolished in favor of newer facilities.