Affirmative Action Summary Checklist/Faculty
- A Request to Fill Position form must be completed and approved prior to beginning a search. The items listed in number four under Search Paperwork must be attached to the Request to Fill form.
- While the Request to Fill Position form is being routed for approval, determine the committee members for the search.
- Upon approval of the Request to Fill Position form, the initiating department should then schedule a date with the Vice Chancellor of Access and Engagement and the search committee for a CHARGE MEETING. This is where formal assignment of the chair of the search committee is made.
- SEARCH PAPERWORK
The Chair of the search committee shall submit the following paperwork to the Vice Chancellor of Access and Engagement;
- Approved Request to Fill Position form.
- A description of the position.
- Calendar with projected dates for completion of each step of the search process
- Date the job announcement will be published
- Date applications must be submitted for review or date beginning review
- Date committee meets to go over applicants
- Date the committee to begin on-campus interviews
- Date to recommend candidate to VC for Academic Affairs
- Starting date of position
- Copy of the job announcement to be placed in advertisements
- List of where advertisements will be placed
- Summary of special efforts to recruit minority candidates
- Once the submitted paperwork above has been signed and approved by the Vice Chancellor of Access and Engagement, it is returned to the Search Committee. It is then the responsibility of the Search Committee to contact the Office of Human Resources, so that the position can be posted on the UTM website. Since applications for UTM positions are collected electronically, the position must be posted on the UTM website before any advertisements are placed externally.
- REQUEST TO INTERVIEW CANDIDATES (“Narrative Summary”)
Following the meeting of the search committee to determine which candidates should be interviewed, the chair of the committee shall submit a narrative summary BEFORE contacting any candidate for an interview. This summary shall include the following items:
- A cover sheet listing the position to be filled, the academic department, the date the position will begin, and containing the following signature lines: Department Chair, Dean, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Vice Chancellor of Access and Engagement/Title VI Coordinator (see template ).
- Copies of position announcements used in ALL advertisements or solicitations.
- List of members of the search committee with the minority and female representatives noted.
- List of ALL applicants with a notation of why they are not selected for an interview. For example—“didn’t complete application”, “doesn’t meet minimum qualifications”, “candidates selected for interview are better qualified”, “principal candidate”, etc.
- List of the principal and alternate candidates to be interviewed with a brief synopsis of academic qualifications and a list of major strengths and weaknesses for the position. If a candidate does not have any apparent weaknesses for the position advertised, please do not list any.
- Letter of application, dossier, a copy of current transcript showing highest degree earned and copies of three current letters of reference (or telephone references) for each principal and alternate candidate
- REQUEST TO MAKE AN OFFER (formerly “Attachment G”)
Upon approval of the narrative summary, schedule interviews with the candidates. After interviews are completed submit a Request to Make an Offer to the VCAA. Please attach the following items for the candidate selected.
- A cover sheet listing the position to be filled, the academic department, the date the position will begin, and containing the following signature lines: Department Chair, Dean, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Vice Chancellor of Access and Engagement/Title VI Coordinator ( see template ).
- List of all interviewed candidates and reason for not offering position to others.
- Copy of Department Chair’s letter of recommendation.
- Completed on-line employment application.
- Certification of English language competency memo (see template).
- Copy of the Dean’s letter of recommendation.
- After receiving the "Request To Make An Offer" packet back from the Office of Access, Compliance, and Title IX, it is the responsibility of the chairperson of the search committee to notify candidates scheduled for on campus interviews, they need to complete the "Fair Credit Reporting Act, Disclosure And Authorization To Release Information" form, e.g. "Background Check Form," as soon as possible. This will help in not delaying the background check of the candidate.
- Upon approval by the VCAA, the Request to Make an Offer and attached information is forwarded to the Office of Access, Compliance, and Title IX for final approval. When this approval is obtained the VCAA’s office is notified. All documents will then be returned to the hiring department where they shall be retained according to University policy.
- As a reminder, before you include in an offer, oral or written, the promise to submit the candidate for tenure upon initial appointment, a written statement must be provide to the President documenting either of the following;
- The candidate is tenured at his or her current institution and cannot be successfully recruited to UTM without the promise to submit for consideration for tenure upon initial appointment; or
- If the candidate is not tenured, the exceptional circumstance (other than the candidate’s credentials) that warrants consideration for tenure upon initial appointment.
- If there are missing components required above, the search information will be returned to the hiring department, causing the search and or appointment to be delayed.
- When the search is completed, the Office of Academic Affairs will allocate an amount not to exceed $2,700.00 upon submission of report for search expenses.
- Invoices for advertisements (The Chronicle of Higher Education, Diverse Issues in Higher Education, professional journals, etc.) will be paid for by the employing unit.
- Any exceptions to these guidelines must be approved by the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.