The University of Tennessee at Martin (UTM) recognizes the importance of Service Animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) and the broader category of Assistance Animals as defined by the Fair Housing Act under the US. Department of Housing and Urban Development that provide support for people with disabilities. UTM is committed to allowing individuals with disabilities the use of their needed animals on campus to facilitate full participation, use and enjoyment of University programming and activities. The University of Tennessee at Martin (UTM) reserves the right to amend this guidance at any time.

For more information about the guidelines and procedures for the request of having an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) in campus housing, please refer to our ESA Procedures.

Please see this link for the ESA medical documentation form to be filled out by your provider: Request for Documentation: Emotional Support Animal

The following information is provided to help define the role service animals at The University of Tennessee at Martin in promoting the safety, dignity, and independence of persons with disabilities.

ADA Service Animal Basic Faq

To understand more about the difference between ESAs and Service Animals, please visit the ADA's frequently asked questions page here: Service Animal FAQs.

For inquiries regarding service animals, please contact the Accessibility Resource Center at (731) 881-7605.

Service Animal Policy

Students with services animals are not required to register with ARC and receive approval to have the animal in residence.  However, students must notify Housing in advance of moving the animal in and provide proof of current vaccinations.

Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact the Office of Accessibility Resource Center (ARC) to request accommodations that address barriers related to accessing University Housing. Our goal is to provide equitable access to all aspects of the university for eligible students.