The mission of the Department of Music is to cultivate excellence in musical education, performance, and the liberal arts. The department works to support and enhance the cultural and intellectual diversity of the community, while also serving as model performers, educators, and scholars.
UTM Department of Music graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate a conceptual understanding of musical components and processes.
- Perform, analyze, create, and explain music.
- Understand global musical cultures and historical periods.
- Integrate musical knowledge and skills into their chosen profession.
- Exhibit the capability for entrepreneurial and independent work in music professions.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and an ability to work with diverse populations.
- Produce graduates who will promote and advance the art of music.
- Enhance the quality of life on campus and in the region by presenting artistic musical events.
- Pursue scholarship in music.
- Support music educators and music programs through educational outreach.
- Cultivate relationships with musicians, arts organizations, and alumni.