About Greek Garden
The purpose of this Greek garden is to capture the incredible legacy of nine historically black fraternities and sororities and honor them with a space that includes a monument dedicated to their cultural and institutional impact. Our hope is this place serves as a reminder of their legacy, of their commitment to service, and of their impact...past, present, and for many years to come in the future.
Locally, the University of Tennessee at Martin hosts the Eta Xi Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta chartered, May 9, 1970, making them the first Black Greek Lettered Organization on campus. The Zeta Lambda Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated was chartered March 21, 1971. April 15, 1971 saw the arrival of the first NPHC fraternity with Kappa Alpha Psi – Zeta Kappa Chapter followed by Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated on April 23, 1973 with the Iota Zeta Chapter.
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated, joined the campus community November 15, 1975 with the chartering of the Mu Beta Chapter and would later be re-chartered as the Tau Psi Chapter February 28, 2008. The Delta Iota Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated was chartered November 25, 1978 and saw the addition of their constitutionally bound brothers of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated with the chartering of the Kappa Omicron Chapter on January 25, 1979. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated chartered it’s Kappa Gamma Chapter October 6, 1986, and our NPHC Family was completed July 10, 2010 with the chartering of the Eta Pi Chapter of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Incorporated.
With over 40 years of scholarship, service, and commitment to the better making of leaders and innovators; with this monument, we look forward to the continued impact of the National Pan-Hellenic Council for years to come.
The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated (NPHC) is currently composed of nine (9) International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. NPHC promotes interaction through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities and functions.
On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.
On February 4th, 1995, The Nassau, Bahamas Pan-Hellenic Council was officially chartered by the NPHC, becoming the first international council, outside of the United States of America to be chartered.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as “The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.”
1906 Cornell University Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity
1908 Howard University Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
1911 Indiana University Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity
1911 Howard University Omega Psi Phi Fraternity
1913 Howard University Delta Sigma Theta Sorority
1914 Howard University Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity
1920 Howard University Zeta Phi Beta Sorority
1922 Butler University Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority
1963 Morgan State University Iota Phi Theta Fraternity