We appreciate your interest in the Occupational Licensure program at UT Martin and thank you for reaching out. We are happy to assist you with information regarding our fully online program. Admittance to the Occupational Licensure program requires that one is an active full-time employee or is currently in the hiring process by a school system.
You will be required to take 4 courses to complete the program, 12 hours. We offer courses every Spring, Summer, and Fall. Please, do not hesitate to ask questions.
Applications are currently being accepted for the following terms:
Spring 2024: January 11 - April 26, 2024
Summer 2024: June 3 - August 9, 2024
Notice: The University of Tennessee at Martin (UTM) Educator Preparation Program for CTE Instructors is only available for State of Tennessee residents or applicants who are currently employed by a Tennessee approved school provider.”
- Successful completion of four (3-credit hour online courses) to fulfill the 12-credit hour program requirement.
- Courses are offered every Spring, Summer, and Fall.
- All courses are undergraduate-level courses and not eligible for graduate credit.
- You must complete the required coursework within three years from the hire date into the teaching position.
- Due to a recent change in the State Board’s professional assessments policy, the PLT: 7-12 Praxis will no longer be required for renewal of a practitioner occupational license. Once you complete the program requirements, you will submit a Renew License transaction on TNCompass. Please contact Educator.Licensure@tn.gov if you need further assistance.
- Application for Admission
- Follow this link https://www.utm.edu/admissions-and-aid/apply/
- Scroll down to the “Guest Student” application and click Apply Now
- As a first time user you will need to create an account - you will receive an email with a temporary PIN number - enter PIN and your birthdate and create a password
- Click on Start New Application
- Create Application
- Open Application
- Fill out application - for student type, choose “CTE Occupational Licensure”
- After completing the application “Submit Application”
- Submit the following two requirements to email@example.com
- District Intent to Hire form (Not a binding confirmation or guarantee approval of employment)
- Copy of valid TN driver’s license (for in-state tuition EVEA verification).
Practitioner Occupational Education License Endorsement Courses
CTE 290 – Effective Instructional Strategies and Managing the Environment
Introduction to instructional strategies aimed at fostering a classroom environment which promotes student success and achievement through the integration of educational theory, classroom management techniques, as well as assessment. Topics presented will address lesson and unit plan construction, differentiated instruction to diverse learners, mastery of content knowledge, along with the importance of ongoing reflection and its relationship to professional learning. Discipline-specific literacy skills and strategies will be introduced.
CTE 300 – Students with Exceptionalities
An introductory course designed to provide an overview of the field of special education. Principles, characteristics, programs, special needs, legal requirements and instructional strategies, related to the education of students with exceptionalities. A deeper understanding of discipline-specific literacy skills and strategies will be covered, as well as, acronyms used in the state and region that are unique to the special education field.
CTE 303 - Diagnosis and Evaluation
Designed to develop skills in selecting, constructing, administering and interpreting instruments appropriate for assessing differing needs and achievement of students in the classroom. Criterion-based assessment and their classroom relevance will be reviewed. Instructor will continue to promote the use of academic and discipline-specific vocabulary.
CTE 325 - Educational Psychology
Introduction to the psychology of learning, motivation and social development. The course focus will be on the development of learning theory, psychological and environmental factors that influence learning and the validity of various learning paradigms. Academic and discipline-specific vocabulary will be covered.
- New students pay a one-time $30 non-refundable application fee
- The current cost of an online class is $1,302
- Four-part payment plan available
- State of TN Employee Fee Waivers are accepted
- Apply for FAFSA https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
- Two classes (6 credit hours) are required for Financial Aid (student loans)
- Occupational Educator Scholarship
Did you submit a CTE application through TNCompass? If you did, the Department of Education will place your name on our TNCompass dashboard so that your enrollment can be added in UT Martin’s program and finish the submission of the application.
If you haven’t submitted a CTE application, you need to do so. You’ll find the link under the Quick Link section of TNCompass.
View this file for a step-by-step guide to TN Compass.
Occupational Endorsement Table
|2-4 Cycle Engines
|Aviation Ground School
|Supply Chain Management
|Digital Arts & Design
|Health Science 6-12
|Health Science 7-12
|Legal and Protective Services
|Trade & Industrial Education 6-12
|Trade & Industrial Education 9-12
- After completion of the required 12 hours for Occupational Licensure will be to contact Ms. Jenny Hahn at firstname.lastname@example.org or 731-881-7126. She will assist you with TnCompass and the final paperwork required for the state.
- In addition to the information Ms. Hahn will provide, once final grades have been posted you will need to request an official UTM transcript at http://www.utm.edu/offices-and-services/academic-records/enrollment-degree-verification-and-transcript-request.php
Thank you for allowing UT Martin to assist you in fulfilling your educational goals. We wish you the best!
If you have any other questions or need assistance, please let us know.
Regional Centers Academic Program Specialist
UTM - Office of Regional Centers and Online Programs
110B Gooch/ 538 University Street Martin, TN 38238
UTM – Office of Regional Centers and Online Programs
110 Gooch Hall
538 University Street
Martin, TN 38238