Name(s) of Buildings Student Activities Building; R.O.T.C. Building


Construction Dates: 1946-1947; demolished 1988

Cost: $68,000

Brief History:

During the campus's post-war enrollment boom, temporary dormitories and housing developments were rapidly assembled from materials secured from the closure of Camp Tyson and once reserved for military base construction. The largest of those buildings became the Student Activities Building, which was completed by the Federal Works Agency in 1947 and sat between Cooper Hall and the humanities building.

The building originally held thirteen classrooms and several offices. After the college acquired it, it became the laboratory structure and primary teaching venue for the Agriculture program while construction progressed on the ABL building. After 1951, this structure was remodled to serve as the center for student functions, the bookstore, post office, and R.O.T.C. offices. These remained here until the new Student Center was completed in 1965, after which the R.O.T.C./Military Science Department assumed control of the facility. The R.O.T.C. program relocated to the new R.O.T.C. Building in 1987; the following year the old building was demolished by a controlled fire.