What is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records. FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children’s education records. These rights transfer to the student when he/she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. While the rights under FERPA belong to the parents with respect to high school records, they belong to the student with respect to postsecondary records. For more information, please visit: https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html.

Is a Dual Enrollment Program Consent Form required?

All students participating in the UT Martin Dual Enrollment Program must submit a completed form before the first day of class of the first term of enrollment. Only one form is required for each student for the duration of enrollment in the program. Please note all highlighted fields must be completed, at least one parent name is required to be listed in the “Student Authorization to Disclose Academic Information” section, and both student and parents are required to sign the form (electronic signatures will not be accepted). Forms can be scanned and emailed to dualenrollment@utm.edu.

Is a UTM Consortium Agreement required?

The online form is required to be submitted only by those students who listed UT Martin on their TN DEG Application for the term AND plan to take a second or third course with another institution during the same term (UT Martin is the “Home” institution; the other institution is the “Host” institution). When the form is submitted, it routes directly to the Dual Enrollment Coordinator for processing. If the student listed another institution on their TN DEG Application for the term and is also taking a course with UT Martin, they will need to submit a consortium agreement for the listed institution.

What if the student is interested in taking a 4th dual enrollment course during the term?

As student success is the goal of the UT Martin Dual Enrollment Program, students interested in taking a 4th course in any given term must first receive approval to do so. If approved, the student would be responsible for tuition for the 4th course. Please contact the Dual Enrollment Coordinator to request approval to take a 4th course.

Do the grant/scholarship cover required course materials?

The grant/scholarship cover dual enrollment tuition only. Students are responsible for purchasing or renting required course materials.

Where are online courses conducted?

Canvas is the online platform used by UT Martin. Online courses are delivered through this platform. Instructors teaching courses through formats other than online may also use Canvas, as it allows students to communicate with the instructor, keep track of due dates, view and submit assignments, check grades, etc.

What if a student account is “Not Confirmed”?

Confirmation has to do with the student account balance and does not affect the student’s ability to begin their course(s) on the first day of class. An account is not confirmed until it is either paid in full or manually confirmed. The Dual Enrollment Office has until 5 pm on the last purge date for the term to post all TN DEGs and UTM DASs to student accounts or confirm those accounts expecting payment at a later date from another institution. As long as the student is eligible for the TN DEG and UTM DAS, parents/students can disregard the “Not Confirmed” status on the student account.

Why would a student eligible for the grant/scholarship receive a UTM Billing Statement?

Tuition is assessed to a student account when they register for a course. The Bursar’s Office sends statements each month for any student who has a balance on their account. Each statement does state (bottom left), “Please disregard amount due, if: -- You have financial aid awarded to cover charges.” The Bursar’s Office has no way of knowing which students are expecting financial aid and which are not, so statements are sent each month for any student with an account balance. All grants/scholarships must be posted to student accounts no later than 5 pm on the last purge date for the term. As long as the student is eligible for the TN DEG and UTM DAS, parents/students can disregard any billing statement(s) they may receive.

What is the Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act?

The Eligibility Verification for Entitlement Act (EVEA) requires state public institutions of higher education to verify that anyone seeking a “state public benefit” is a United States citizen or otherwise lawfully present in the US. Any student turning 18 during the term of enrollment will need to submit a copy of their valid driver’s license, official birth certificate, or valid passport as proof of citizenship as required by the Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act. Documentation can be scanned and emailed to dualenrollment@utm.edu.

Will UT Martin dual enrollment coursework transfer to other institutions?

In most cases, yes. If the student plans to enroll in an institution other than UT Martin, it is the student’s responsibility to check with the institution regarding transferability of UT Martin coursework. A link to the UT Martin transfer equivalency tables is located on the webpage.

How does a dual enrollment student transfer coursework to another institution?

Dual enrollment students must request UT Martin official transcripts in the same manner as traditional students. There is a $5 charge for each request. Transcripts can be requested in any of the following methods:

  • Appear in person at the Office of Academic Records and complete a Transcript Request Form (form is located on the webpage). If there are no holds on the student account or no balance due, the student must go to the Bursar’s Office to pay the transcript fee.
  • Mail a Transcript Request Form with a check or money order to the Office of Academic Records, UT Martin, 538 University Street, 103 Administration Building, Martin, TN 38238.
  • Go to www.getmytranscript.com and request a transcript online (additional processing fees apply).
What is IRS Form 1098-T Tuition Statement?

As required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), eligible educational institutions file Form 1098-T for each student they enroll and for whom a reportable transaction is made. The student or person eligible to claim the student as a dependent may be able to claim an education credit on IRS Form 1040. Form 1098-T is required to support any claim for an educational credit. A scholarship is considered paid on behalf of the student. For more information, please consult a tax advisor.