How to Login to Cayuse
Use your NetID and password to log into Cayuse at http://tennessee.cayuse424.com/. The Cayuse Research Suite homepage will appear. Click on the Cayuse SP (Sponsored Projects) link.
Your Cayuse SP home page will open. Here you can begin a new proposal, view current and previous proposals and awards, and certify or approve a proposal for administrative routing.
If You Have Trouble Logging In to Cayuse
- Make sure you are trying to log in at the correct URL - tennessee.cayuse424.com/
- If you are using a bookmark to get to the Cayuse URL and are having difficulty logging in, type the URL address directly into your browser instead of using the bookmark.
- Make sure you are typing your NetID and password correctly. For example, if your keyboard's caps lock is turned on, it will prevent you from correctly entering a case-sensitive password.
- If you can't log in, clear the cookies on your browser. For instructions for specific browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.), go to http://support.cayuse.com/docs/browser-support-configuration/clearing-cookies
- Check your browser settings to be sure they are optimized for Cayuse. For instructions tailored to specific browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.), go to http://support.cayuse.com/docs/browser-support-configuration
- Contact the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs for assistance via email email@example.com or by calling 881-7015. A setting in IRIS may need to be changed before you can log in, especially if you are a new employee or if you have not worked on a sponsored project.
Required Attachments for Cayuse Proposals
- Proposal or equivalent document such as Statement of Work, Scope of Work, or Abstract
- Budget and Budget Justification/Narrative
- Current outside interests disclosure form for each person involved in planning, conducting, or reporting on the proposal
- Request for Proposal (RFP) or proposal announcement guidelines. Be sure to include submission instructions
- Subawardee documentation including subawardee commitment form, budget with justification, and scope of work
- Nondisclosure agreements, intellectual property agreements, memorandums of understanding, or any other contractual agreements relevant to the project
- Documentation of any third-party cost-share
Entering Preliminary Proposals in Cayuse
For the most part, preliminary proposals are entered the same as full proposals. There are a few differences, however, as detailed below.
General Information Page
The Short Project Name and Title of Project are preceded by the words Preliminary Proposal.
For Proposal Type, select “Letter of Intent/Preliminary Proposal.”
To avoid duplicate counting of amounts requested if a sponsor invites UTM to submit a full proposal , the budget for a preliminary proposal is always set at $0 (even if a budget is required for the submission.)
Select “letter of intent” or “preproposal” as the Document Type, whichever is most applicable, when attaching the proposal.
Submission Notes Page
Enter explanatory information concerning the budget, depending upon whether or not a budget is required in the preliminary proposal.
If a budget is required for the preliminary, add an explanatory note such as the following:
This is a preliminary proposal. A preliminary budget is required and has been attached for your review. We have not entered a budget on the budget page to avoid duplicative counting of funds requested at the full proposal phase. If invited to submit a full proposal, the final proposal and budget will be routed in Cayuse for your approval.
If a budget is not required for the preliminary, add a submission note that the final budget will be circulated for approval when/if the actual proposal is requested, such as the following:
This is a preliminary proposal. A preliminary budget is not required. If invited to submit a full proposal, the final proposal and budget will be routed in Evisons for your approval.
How to Approve a Proposal in Cayuse
From your Cayuse Sponsored Programs Home page, click on “Unit Approval Inbox”
In the yellow “To be Authorized” tab, click on the number of the proposal you wish to review:
To review the information entered about the proposal, click on the pdf icon. Alternately, you can click on the proposal number to review the information a page at a time.
To review the documents (proposal application, budget, etc.) attached to the Cayuse proposal entry, click on the Attachments icon:
When you are ready to Approve the proposal, click the “Authorize Proposal” button:
Please DO NOT click the “Reject Proposal” button – instead, if you have questions or corrections to the proposal, contact the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs. ORSP staff will work with you to resolve the issues, if at all possible.
On the Proposal Authorization page, click on the “Submit Authorization” button to complete the approval process.
How to Certify a Proposal in Cayuse
After logging into Cayuse, click on My Dashboard in the upper left corner and select PI Certification Inbox. Two tabs will be visible – To be Certified and Previously Reviewed. Click on the To be Certified tab to see proposals that require certification. Click on the Proposal No. link to view the proposal. To view the PDF version of the proposal, click the PDF icon next to the proposal number.
To review the documents attached to the proposal entry, click on the attachments tab.
If you have questions about or corrections to the proposal, contact the ORSP for assistance. You will not be able to make changes to the Cayuse entry once it enters the approval routing process.
When you are ready to certify the proposal, click the Certify Proposal button.
On the Proposal Certification page, click the Submit Certification button to complete the process.
When you return to the PI Certification Inbox, the proposal will have moved to the Previously Reviewed tab, indicating a successful certification.
How to Logout of Cayuse
You must log out of each tab, close the tab, then close your browser to fully log out of Cayuse.
Starting with the rightmost (Cayuse SP) tab, click on “log out”
Next, click the “x” on the tab to close it:
On the remaining tab (Research Suite Welcome screen), click on “log out”:
Next, click the “x” on the tab to close it:
If your browser is still open, close it to complete the log out process.