Amplified Sound

Amplified sound can only be used on the patio areas around the University Center by request from a recognized student organization or university unit. Student organization request must be made via the organizations OrgSync portal. University units can make a request by contacting the University Center staff at 731-881-7755.


Sidewalk chalking is allowed. Chalking must be done in open areas (i.e. not under cover from the weather) and at least 25 ft. from any building entrance.

Freedom of Assembly

Students have the right to gather in groups to express their views and opinions, so long as such a gathering is held in an orderly manner; does not interfere with vehicular or pedestrian traffic, classes, meetings, events, ceremonies, or other educational processes of the University; and is not held in University buildings other than an area approved by the Division of Student Affairs or in residential areas of the campus. No amplification devices are permitted during class hours except by special permission from the Division of Student Affairs.

Sign Posting Procedures

UT Martin's sign posting procedures can be found on the University Relations website or by following the preceding link.


Solicitation is defined as the seeking of funds or support by student(s), registered student organization(s), and University employees from sources on campus and other forms of support including the procurement of supplies and the selling and distribution of items, materials, or products and services.

Solicitation will not be authorized for personal benefit of individual students or individual members of student organizations.

Solicitation and (posted) advertising of regular business enterprise sales by students and student organizations are not allowed. Students and student organizations may use designated bulletin boards to advertise occasional sales or rentals, such as personal autos and auto accessories, electronic devices, pets, homes, books, etc., that are not a part of a business.

Door-to-door solicitation in residence halls, University apartments, and offices by individuals on or off campus is prohibited. Certain types of philanthropic solicitation in designated areas of University buildings might be permitted with approval of the Office of Student Life.

Student representatives of magazines, service or mail-order companies may not solicit door-to-door in residence halls. They may post notices on bulletin boards in the halls, giving their own names and phone numbers or room numbers by which the students may seek their products, as long as the companies represented are bona fide agencies. Clearance for the posting of these notices should be given by the Division of Student Affairs where a check may be made as to the reputation of the firm.

In accordance with the state law, the University does not allow any raffling or other forms of gambling in its name or in any of its facilities.

Registered organizations are encouraged to contact the Office of Student Life for the specifics of any additional guidelines regarding solicitation for private, political or public philanthropy.

Anyindividual(s) or organization(s) wanting to solicit on campus must first get approval from the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs via a solicitation request. Solicitation requests for the University Center, Elam Center, Student Recreation Center, and Student Life Center are completed via the events requests in the organizations OrgSync portal.

A paper version of the form can be obtained by following the link: Student Organization Solicitation Request Form

Standards of Conduct

The Standards of Conduct details information about the institution’s expectations and student rights and responsibilities. It creates a standard by which students are expected to conduct themselves that is consistent with the educational goals of the university. The Standards of Conduct can be found the Student Handbook.

Use of University Property by Non-Affiliated Persons for Free Expression Activities

The Use of University Property by Non-Affiliated Persons for Free Expression Activities policy outlines regulations for use of the campus and university property by individuals and groups who are not currently affiliated with the university.