In accordance with a federal law known as the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, our University is required to report certain criminal offenses reported to officials who have been identified as “Campus Security Authorities (CSA).”

CSAs are defined as “an official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” Based upon the listed examples given by the law, you have been identified as meeting the criteria and we need your help in this matter.

A victim of a crime may choose not to report the incident for action within the legal or University judicial system. The Department of Public Safety encourages victims to report crimes even if they do not wish to pursue legal charges for the safety of the victim and potential future victims. Further, the University can collect accurate information for reporting crime statistics. It also allows the victim to be referred to resources that can assist them, if they so choose. They can report the crimes to you with the knowledge that you will maintain the confidentiality of the victim as much as is feasible dependent upon the threat presented by the involved suspect.

The reportable crimes involved are: murder/non-negligent manslaughter, negligent manslaughter, sex offenses (Any sexual act directed against another person, without the consent of the victim including instances where the victim is incapable of giving consent), robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft, arson, liquor law violations (underage drinking/possession), drug violations, and weapon violations (illegal possession).

Also involved are bias-related (hate) crimes defined as: a crime in which the victim was intentionally selected because of the actual or perceived race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender identity, national origin, or disability of the victim.

Along with the above listed crimes, larceny-theft, simple assault, intimidation (to unlawfully place another person in reasonable fear of bodily harm through the use of threatening words and/or other conduct, but without displaying a weapon or subjecting them to actual physical attack), and destruction/vandalism can be additionally reported as a hate crime if they were motivated by bias against the victim because of the victim’s membership in a protected class.

Further, newly identified crimes requiring reporting are Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, and Stalking.

Dating violence: Violence committed by a person :

Domestic Violence: means a felony or misdemeanor crimes of violence committed by:

Stalking: engaging in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to:

We are required to disclose statistics for offenses that occur on campus, in or on non-campus property (fraternity houses, church student annexes), and public property (streets/sidewalks immediately around campus).

There is an online form to complete with the information you have gathered about the incident. We need you to be as specific and gather as much information about the incident as you can, without compromising the confidentiality of the victim as much as is feasible dependent upon the threat presented by the involved suspect. Then, forward the form to me at or Director Robbins, or stop by the Department of Public Safety at 159 Crisp Hall.

We do not expect you to investigate or confirm the validity of any information that the victim provides to you. We are depending on your training and experience to determine if the information provided by the victim is reasonable enough to be reported.

The reporting cycle for these crimes is the calendar year.

If you have any questions, please give me a call. We appreciate your help with this matter, and please provide this information to anyone under your realm of control who you think needs to be advised of these requirements. We do request any report from those under your realm of control be forwarded to you, then to us for quality control issues.


Designated Campus Security Authorities

Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs

Director of Student Conduct/Student Conduct Officer

Dean of Students/Assistant Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs

Director of Minority Affairs

Director of Housing

Assistant Director of Housing Facilities

Hall Directors and Assistant Hall Directors

Residence Assistants

Director of Greek Life

Director of Student Organizations

Faculty Advisors for Student Organizations

Director of Campus Recreation

Campus Recreation Staff

Director of Human Resources

Athletic Director

Assistant Athletic Director

Head and Assistant Athletic Coaches

Head Athletic Trainer

Director of Student Success

Director of Disability Services

Director of the Women’s Center

Director of the Jackson Center

Director of the Parsons Center

Director of the Ripley Center

Director of the Selmer Center

Director of the Somerville Center

Director of the International Program

Director of Access, Compliance, and Title IX

PSEPP Coordinator

Director of Public Safety

Public Safety Officers

Complete the CSA Reporting Form below

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a CSA?

A Campus Security Authority, or CSA, is defined by four different groups of individuals often found on college campuses. These groups are determined and defined by the Department of Education:

  • A campus police department, such as UTPD, are considered CSAs. Any Clery incidences reported to UTPD, even those not reported through a law enforcement report, are reportable under the Clery Act. Non-commissioned security staff are also considered CSAs.
  • Any individual(s) who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute as campus law enforcement (e.g., an individual who is responsible for monitoring the entrance into institutional property).
  • Any individual or organization specified by an institution to which students and employees should report criminal offenses. These are individuals the university directs the campus community to for reporting criminal incidents in addition to police or security-related personnel.
  • An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings. An official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution.
What is the role of a CSA?

Under the Clery Act, CSAs are obligated to report Clery Act qualifying crimes which occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the university. The intent of including non-law enforcement personnel in the CSA role is to acknowledge that some community members and students may be more inclined to report incidents to other campus-affiliated individuals instead of the police.

What offenses do I need to report?

The criminal offenses for which you are required to disclose statistics are murder/non-negligent manslaughter, negligent manslaughter, rape, fondling, incest, statutory rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft, arson, dating violence, domestic violence, stalking, liquor law violations, drug abuse violations, and weapons violations (including carrying and possessing).

You also are required to report statistics for bias-related (hate) crimes for all of the above offenses in addition to larceny-theft, vandalism, intimidation, simple assault, and damage/destruction/vandalism of property.

These incidents should be reported on a Campus Security Authority Incident Report Form.

For more information on these offenses and their definitions, see the Clery Crimes & Locations tab.

What are the Clery reportable locations?

To qualify as reportable, a Clery Act crime must have occurred in one of the following locations:

On-campus property: Any building or property owned or controlled by the university within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area and used by the university in direct support of, or in a manner related to, the university’s educational purpose, including buildings or property the location described herein that is owned by the university but controlled by another person and which is frequently used by students.

On-campus residential life buildings and Greek houses.

Non-campus property: Any non-campus property or building owned or controlled (leased) by the university that is frequently used by students and is not within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution.

Public Property: Any public property located immediately adjacent to, and accessible from campus, including public garages, thoroughfares, sidewalks, streets, lands, parks, and beaches.

What shouldn’t a CSA do?

A CSA is not responsible for determining authoritatively whether a crime took place—that is the function of law enforcement personnel. A CSA should not try to apprehend the alleged perpetrator of the crime. That too is the responsibility of law enforcement. It is also not a CSA’s responsibility to try and convince a victim to contact law enforcement if the victim chooses not to do so.

What should a CSA do?

If you receive Clery reportable crime information, then submit a CSA report. Simply report what you know. If you are unsure if the incident is a Clery crime, if it happened on a Clery location, or if it was even a crime at all, still report the incident. The Clery office will decide the classification of the crime and how it should be categorized. Be advised the Clery office may contact you for additional information if necessary. As always, people and their safety are our main concern, be sure to assist the victim in obtaining help if needed such as medical, or counseling services.

Who is responsible at UT for gathering crime statistics from CSAs and other sources and reporting those statistics to the campus community?

Statistics are compiled by the Clery Coordinator. Data is collected from UT Student Conduct, UT Campus Security Authorities, Martin Police Department, and other applicable law enforcement agencies for incidents that occurred on UT owned or controlled properties. This information is published in the university’s Annual Security Report on or before October 1 annually.

What about confidentiality?

An incident report cannot be confidential, even if the person who reported the incident to you requested that you keep the report confidential. However, crime statistics are anonymous and no personal identifiers will be disclosed.

Why do you send out emails and texts about crime?

There are two forms of notifications. Emergency Notifications and Timely Warnings. The university is federally mandated to send these notifications when a Clery-reportable crime occurs on university owned or controlled property that is a serious or continuing threat to the campus community. The university supports this mandate and believes it’s an important part of keeping the community safe.

Why are names not given in a Safety Notice?

The Clery Act does not mandate what information should be included in a Safety Notice (timely warning). However, Safety Notices will usually include date the incident was reported, the date and a general time frame the incident occurred, location (typically a general location will be given when a sexual assault occurs in an on-campus residence hall to protect the identity of the victim), a brief description of the incident, and safety tips.

Names of the victim or suspect will generally be withheld to protect the identity of the victim. If the incident is reported through a CSA report, often times the name of the victim and/or suspect is not reported. If the incident was reported through a police report, names are not released due to the ongoing investigation.

The intent of a Safety Notice is to inform members of the campus community of specific crimes so they may make informed decisions for their safety. The notification includes information that would promote safety and that would aid in the prevention of similar crimes.

Where can I get more information and advice?

If you are ever in doubt about whether you should report an incident, report it! Submit a completed CSA incident report form.

The Clery Coordinator reviews all submissions for necessary follow up and inclusion in crime statistics. For general information, or any questions regarding the Clery Act on campus please contact:

Lt. Chad Worley
Administrative and Special Services Lieutenant
UT Martin Police Department
215 Hurt St.
159 Crisp Hall
Martin, Tn 38238
Phone - 731-881-7777
Fax - 731-881-7726