This ensemble is a place to learn and practice the art of playing chamber music in the setting of Brass Quintet (2 trumpets, horn, trombone, tuba). The members of the quintet are selected by the brass faculty through auditions at the beginning of each semester.
Through rehearsals (coached and uncoached) as well as performance, students have the opportunity to broaden their musical knowledge and practical experience in the following areas:
- Artistry: listening skills, performance practice, creating a unified ensemble sound
- Repertoire: exposure to the diverse styles and repertoire for brass quintet
- Professional skills: arranging and running an effective, efficient, and consistent rehearsals, group problem-solving, communication skills, working well with colleagues and other musicians, securing and setting up performance opportunities on/off campus
- Rehearsal techniques: organization, setting and reaching musical goals, diagnosing, and resolving issues efficiently, appoint a point person to send out rehearsal schedules
- Performance: effectively present a high quality, artistic product to an audience
The Brass Quintet is encouraged to participate in competitions, present recitals on and off campus, and present music and educational outreach in the community and schools. This group is a perfect vehicle for establishing and developing musical aesthetics, relationships, and networking.
The UTM Brass Quintet is available for gigs on and off campus.